Where are my students' submitted answers?
There can be several reasons why you can't find the answers your students submitted to you.
- Your students haven't actually submitted their answers.
- The answers ended up in an unexpected group or class.
- The answers were sent to a colleague.
- By changes you've made to a widget after part of your students had already submitted, results got separated.
- Result submission is either not supported or not enabled for the widget type you've chosen.
- Saving result submissions to your account is not enabled.
- The answers pertain to a survey or exit slip.
Your students didn't submit their answers
As evident as it may seem, maybe your students haven't completed the widget, were unaware that they were supposed to submit their answers, or forgot/didn't know they had to click "Send" or the envelope icon in the top-right corner of the widget.
If you've shared your widget within a Learning Management System (LMS, for example Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams,…), you can check for yourself whether students have sent in their answers. Read more about it here.
The answers ended up in an unexpected group or class
When working in an LMS, only results for widgets that have been properly shared, will end up in the corresponding class or course.
Answers will only be grouped correctly if our algorithm can properly identify the widgets. In case some students have already submitted their results and others haven't yet, then these results might become dispersed if in the meantime:
- you have edited the widget's name/title;
- you have added, moved or deleted either a question or multiple-choice answer option.
You can use the search interface to track the results down.
The answers were sent to a colleague
There are various potential causes as to why this happened:
- Within an LMS (like Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams,…), you used an exercise that a colleague made. Since BookWidgets results are linked to the person who exported the widget to the LMS, they will receive the results. This still applies even if you copied the exercise first.
- You received a widget link from someone, which you simply copied and shared with your students.
- You copied a widget that has been configured to send result submissions to someone else (through Title/Reporting > Submission form), and you've shared this widget outside of an LMS.
If you suspect that a colleague might have result submissions for your students, ask them to have a look with the search function. Who knows, the results may have wound up in a course that your colleague hardly ever checks.
If your colleague is a co-teacher of the class, they can optionally enable sharing of answers with the course's co-teachers at the bottom of the result section.
Even if this option is not enabled, your colleague can still use the search function to send the missing answers to you.
By changes you've made to a widget after part of your students had already submitted, results got separated
Result submissions are categorized and grouped according to class/group, widget title and if applicable, the type of questions in a Quiz or Worksheet. If you've edited any of these things after a part of your students has already submitted their results while another hadn't yet, then the results will have become dispersed.
You can use the search function to locate the missing entries.
Result submission is either not supported or not enabled for the widget type you've chosen
Not all widget types support result submission, while others have this setting enabled by default. If supported but not enabled, you can enable this option under Reporting or Title/Reporting.
Note that it is always possible that the option was disabled at the time a student made the widget, and was only enabled afterwards.
If so, you can still have your students submit their answers to you.
Saving result submissions to your account is not enabled
On My account, under Student Work, the option to store results needs to be checked:
The answers pertain to a survey or exit slip
Within an LMS, widget answers are linked to student IDs. However, survey and exit slip results are anonymous. They can only be accessed through our website.