Using Widgets in Safe Exam Browser
Safe Exam Browser is a free web browser environment to carry out e-assessments safely. The software temporarily turns any computer into a secure workstation. It controls access to resources like system functions, other websites and applications, and prevents unauthorised resources being used during an exam. More info about Safe Exam Browser capabilities can be found on the Safe Exam Browser website.
To use widgets in Safe Exam Browser:
- Install SEB on all student machines. SEB is available for iOS, Windows and OSX
- Enable SEB in the widget configuration
- Share the widgets using a supported LMS (e.g. Google Classroom, MS Teams for education, Canvas, Schoology, ...)
Widgets that have SEB enabled will only run in Safe Exam Browser. After students launch an SEB widget from their LMS, they will go through the LMS specific Single Sign On procedure, and they need to confirm that they want to launch SEB. SEB will ask for the settings password. Once the password is entered, the widget will start. From that moment on, the device of the students will be locked in the SEB environment. It will remain locked until the widget answers are submitted, at which time a link will appear to exit SEB.
SEB can be installed from the Safe Exam Browser downloads page.
You enable SEB under the Title/reporting > Safe Exam Browser tab. 2 parameters need to be configured:
- Settings Password: a password you send to the students to start the widget.
- Quit/unlock password: a password to be used in case of problems to unlock the student device without submitting answers. If all goes well this password will not be used. It should be handed to the exam proctors so they can assist the students in case of technical problems.
In addition to these parameters, the Advanced section allows you to upload your own SEB settings file as a template to be used for creating the widget specific SEB settings. The file you upload must be an unencrypted SEB settings file. Please consult the SEB website for more Information about creating the SEB settings file on Windows or Mac.