Video is not playing in my widget
In Widgets, video can be embedded in 2 ways:
- Streaming video from YouTube or Vimeo
- Video file you embedded
If a streaming video is not playing, internet access to the video is usually blocked. Here are a few possible reasons:
- A firewall blocks access to the site where the video is hosted (e.g. YouTube). Even if the widget can be loaded from our site, the video can't be displayed.
- The widget was integrated in an environment that doesn't support internet access. E.g: if you're embedding a widget in iBooks, auto-play widgets won't have internet access. Internet access could also have been disabled for books in iBooks.
- Hosted videos can have regional restrictions.
If you're embedding your own video file, it could be encoded in a way that's not supported by the environment (e.g. browser) playing the video. Different video files with the same file extension can use different encodings, causing one to work but not the other. This could be related to the encoder (codec) or the parameters used (e.g. resolution too high). For example, Apple defines the following settings for use of video in iBooks Author ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202374):
For video, use one of the following formats in an mp4 file:
- H.264 video: Up to 720p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio. Video shared to file from iMovie 10 using the HD 720p option will use these settings.
- MPEG-4 video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps per channel, 48 kHz, stereo audio.